If you haven’t witnessed the explosion of Smartphone popularity, you have been living under a rock.
Thousands upon thousands of applications are available from Apple’s App Store, Android Market or Blackberry App World, and the number of downloads are astounding; millions are downloaded – every month. There are apps for everything you can imagine from productivity apps to apps to help you manage your finances. And, of course, there are language-learning apps. Now, as ESL teachers, should we capitalize on the Smartphone phenomenon and recommend language-learning apps for our students? Check out the list below and reach your own conclusions.
The Hard Facts about Mobile Language Learning Apps
- Smartphone ownership is on the rise all over the world. In the US alone, half of American adults own a Smartphone (source).
- Fifty percent of US mobile subscribers download apps (source).
- Millions of apps are downloaded every month – all over the world (source).
Advantages of Recommending Language Learning Apps to Students
- Convenience – The mobility of these devices provides students with the chance to study/review any day, any time, without the need to remember to bring their books or class materials.
- Efficiency – Most apps are tremendously user-friendly and well-organized into topics. This means students don’t waste any time looking for what they want to practice.
- Engagement – Language learning apps are the ideal tool to engage learners who are very tech-minded and naturally enjoy using gadgets.
The 9 Best ESL Mobile Apps for Your Students
6Grammar in Use books available for iPhone.
These are but a few of the hundreds of apps available for mobile learning.If you have tried any and would like to recommend them, please tell us about them in the comments below! What is your verdict? Do you believe these are valuable tools for ESL learners or simply flashy apps for gadget lovers? Sound off in the comments below!
Tell your friends:
Want more tips like this?
Get 68 ESL Best-Sellers and save 85.28% OFF!
You'll also like:
- How Do You Say That? The 10 Coolest Pronunciation Tools for ESL Students
- ESL Teachers Ask: How Do I Help Students Learn More Vocabulary?
- 7 Great Places to Look for ESL Listening Material
- 10 Modern Ways to Use Technology in ESL Instruction
- The 9 Best Online Resources for ESL Pronunciation Practice
- 8 Killer Online Resources for ESL Vocabulary Review
- Top 10 Sources of Real Audio for Advanced ESL Learners
- Online Quizzes: ESL Allies or Waste of Time?
- Managing Your Classroom with the Swipe of Your Finger: Best Free Teacher Apps for the iPad
- New Technologies = New Tactics For Educators